Hiring Mixer for DevWeek in San Francisco
<17 Feb 2016>
Just Finished with the DevWeek Hiring Mixer
Man it was AWESOME! I was really apprehensive at first because I don’t have much confidence in my skill at the moment, but going there has smashed all my apprehension and I’m more excited to get shit done!!! The people I talked to weren’t judgmental and they gave some great advice for new coders.
- Open Gov dude
- Get out there and contribute to various code bases. Show you know a technology and then you’ll find opportunities as your code is used and propigated.
- Circle CI
- Find a supportive mentoring community OVER more income. Learning and finding networks will be more valuable in the long run and create more opportunities in the future.
- The Information
- This was a really cool company fully supported by user subscription fees. They are basically a independent media company providing inside information and new to niche groups.
- The guy here was super nice and friendly. He said he was from a bootcamp himself and is now an engineer with the company. He does work on the website, but also contributes to the news and data visualization end.
- I was trying to jack myself a moleskin but got too shy. Haha.
- Random Data Visualization Guy
- there was a guy there that just randomly approached us and talked about working remotely with his company. He did data analysis for marketers and was looking for people versed in data science.
- He was saying that getting experience in this would guarantee employment in the future as this skill set is becoming more and more sought after.
- Shtuff I’m thinking about learning
- D3 data visualization
- Data Science